While enjoying the heavenly delight and pleasure that comes with eating bacon for breakfast, you might have wondered whether you can share some with your dog.
Try preparing some bacon and eggs for breakfast as well, and you can bet that Fido is going to be right there begging you for some after the beautiful smell led their way to you!
But, while eggs are a perfectly safe food for dogs to eat, exactly how safe is it if you want to feed your dog some bacon?
Table Of Contents
My Dog Wants Bacon, Can Dogs Eat Bacon?
Despite the fact that bacon in and of itself is not particularly toxic or poisonous to dogs, the answer is NO, you’re better off avoiding feeding your dog bacon.
Since bacon is just preserved pork by means of smoking, curing or salting, and while these preservation means may be fine for us humans, they (most of the times) have terrible effects on your dog’s health.
Sorry to burst your bubble there and tell you that you can’t share some bacon with your furry companion, but as they say, better safe than sorry.
Can Dogs Eat Raw Bacon?
NO, even if the bacon you want to give to your dog is raw and hasn’t been preserved with harmful substances, it’s still better if you don’t feed your dog any kind of bacon, including raw bacon.
- May lead to gastrointestinal problems
- May lead to diarrhea
- May lead to the formation of harmful parasites and bacteria in your dog
- Still contains many negative elements just like any kind of bacon, which we will be going over in the next section
Why Is Bacon Bad For Dogs?
The following are some of the main reasons why bacon is bad for your dog and why you should keep them away from it:
– Pancreatitis: Bacon is very rich in fat content (saturated fat, the worst kind), which is often the primary reason pancreatitis develops in dogs.
And pancreatitis is not a small issue, it requires surgical intervention, could be fatal to your dog, and even if your dog survives it, they will forever be affected by it for the remainder of their life.
– Obstructive Pulmonary Disease: Which is caused by the very high levels of sodium nitrate in bacon.
– Sodium: Bacon is also known to have very high levels of salt, which can lead to terrible health problems in dogs, such as dangerously high blood pressure levels.
– Obesity: Being very high in calories, bacon can easily add on the pounds for your dog (just like it can for you and I if we eat too much), leading to all kinds of things like obesity, hypothyroidism and cardiovascular disease.
– Cancer: Studies have shown that dogs who eat bacon are more likely to be hit with cancer, especially bowel cancer.
If you suspect that your dog has consumed bacon without your supervision and see any/all of these symptoms in your dog (vomiting, diarrhea and intense stomach pain), then you have to talk to your veterinarian on the spot and tell them about the situation.
How Can Dogs Eat Bacon?
With everything mentioned above, there is still hope if you really want to go out of your way and feed your dog bacon for any reason.
There are a lot of companies out there that manufacture low-sodium and low-fat bacon, which allows you to sneak in that occasional treat once in a while in your dog’s diet.
Can Dogs Eat Bacon Grease?
Again, the answer to this question is NO as well.
So many NO’s today in this article, but your dog’s safety comes first!
Some people like to mix their dog’s food with a little bit of bacon grease sometimes, but that’s very terrible and should NEVER be done, for the same reasons bacon (as we talked about above) is bad for your dog.
- Is very high in saturated fats (the terrible kind of fats that you want to try your best to stay away from)
- Is extremely rich in calories (thanks to the high level of fats they contain) which can make your dog obese in no time
- Has next to zero nutritional benefit to your dog
- May lead to dangerous heart diseases with time
- May lead to clogged arteries in your dog