Cats are famous for their self-cleaning habits, making them some of the naturally cleanest animals. However, self-cleaning only gets rid of dirt, accumulated oils and sweat, not the small insects that may be hiding in their fur. To take care of these fleas roaming around your cat’s fur, you’re going to need to spend money on one of the best flea shampoos for cats to get the job done.
You have to pick a cat flea shampoo that not only gets rid of fleas and ticks that your cat might have, but those that also prevent any future infestation.
This article will help you pick the best cat flea shampoo by explaining what to consider when buying one and the things that differentiate one formula from another. Small reviews of our most recommended cat flea shampoos will also follow.
Our List Of The 5 Best Flea Shampoos For Cats – (Updated List For 2017)
Top Pick: Adams Flea and Tick Cleansing Shampoo
Pick #2: Vet’s Best Natural Flea and Tick Waterless Bath Foam for Cats
Pick #3: Natural Chemistry Natural Flea Shampoo for Cats & Kittens
Pick #4: Sentry PurrScriptions Flea and Tick Shampoo for Cats
Pick #5: Four Paws Magic Coat Flea and Tick Cat Grooming Shampoo
*Note: The links in the table above, as well as several links in the remainder of the article below, will take you to over to Amazon.com where you can find out more information about the products, such as current prices and customer reviews.
Table Of Contents
- 1 Best Cat Shampoo For Fleas – A Closer Look Into Our Top 3 Options
- 2 How to Pick the Best Cat Flea Shampoo
- 3 Benefits of Using Flea Shampoo for Cats
- 4 What Differentiates a Cat Flea Shampoo From Other Shampoos?
- 5 How To Use The Shampoo on Your Cat
- 6 Prerequisites
Best Cat Shampoo For Fleas – A Closer Look Into Our Top 3 Options
Pick #1 – Adams Flea and Tick Cleansing Shampoo
The Adams Flea and Tick Cleansing Shampoo is a multi-purpose product that can be used for both cats and dogs, mainly designed to kill fleas, flea eggs, ticks, and lice.
After a single wash, it lasts 30 days in your cat’s coat to prevent subsequent infestations.
While using this shampoo for a course of treatment, you are advised to wash your cats with this shampoo at least once every 3 weeks.
- It is cost-effective as you can use it for both cats and dogs
- The shampoo lasts in your cat’s coat for up to 30 days, ensuring that they don’t suffer an infestation during this period
- It’s kind and gentle on your cat’s skin and improves it’s condition since it can remove dandruff and dirt that may have accumulated on there
- Has a brilliant scent to it
- This shampoo does tend to run out fairly quickly and might not last the whole thirty days, prompting you to sometimes have to buy another bottle before that period is over
- Potential of toxic ingredients to some degree
Pick #2 – Vet’s Best Natural Flea and Tick Waterless Bath Foam for Coats
Because of the fact that most cats and dogs just don’t like to be bathed at all, that is why Vet’s Best Bath Foam is our top recommended waterless cat flea shampoo.
The main ingredients in the foam are peppermint oil and eugenol from clove. These are components that serve to kill ticks, fleas, and flea eggs on impact.
The foam is non-synthetic, chemical-free, and plant-based and can, therefore, be used on cats that are at least 12 weeks and older.
If you don’t like the messy situation when bathing using water, then this is just the right waterless option for you.
- With this shampoo, you don’t require water to rinse off the foam, therefore, aiding in a cleaning session that both you and your cat enjoy
- It has a pleasant natural scent that’s free of any artificial fragrances that might be reactive to your cat’s skin
- With the foam applicator, it is easy and convenient to apply on the cat
- The shampoo is made from plant-based ingredients, hence not toxic to your cat when they licks it off themselves
- Known for its efficiency and speed in killing off insecticides on your cat’s skin
- The lack of water means that you don’t get to scrub off any dirt and scales that may be on your cat’s coat
Pick #3 – Natural Chemistry Natural Flea Shampoo
The Natural Chemistry Natural Flea Shampoo is a 1.2-pound shampoo bottle that is used for cats that are infested with fleas.
It is made from all-natural and botanical components and lasts on the coat for up to 7 days to prevent subsequent infestation.
After drying, its visibility fades, leaving off a natural scent on your cat.
This product can be used for cats as young as 6 weeks of age, as well as young and growing puppies.
- Unlike other products, this shampoo kills off insects at every stage of development, from eggs to larvae to adults, ensuring that any subsequent chance of infestation is prevented as much as possible
- Can be used with other products, which is unlike most pet shampoos
- Fairly long lasting time
- Cannot be used on cats that have allergies
- After use over a period of time, efficiency levels may suffer
How to Pick the Best Cat Flea Shampoo
Keep the following tips in mind when buying a flea shampoo for your cat.
A) To Kill or Prevent?
Different cat flea shampoos serve different purposes. Some shampoos kill the fleas present on your cat while others prevent any chance that they will come back in the future.
You have to decide; do you want to kill the fleas or do you want to prevent any future occurrence?
Therefore, ensure you check how the shampoo exactly works before you buy it, so you ensure it suits your needs and that of your cat.
B) Cat and Dog Flea Shampoo
So, you own a dog and are thinking of using his shampoo on your cat? You’re advised not to do that.
The main difference between dogs and cats is that the latter constantly lick themselves.
Therefore, any chemicals that you use on your cat’s fur will probably find their way into their mouth.
Dog shampoos probably have harsher insecticides since there is very little risk of the pups ingesting them, so using the same product on a cat may be harmful.
If you don’t buy your cat a separate product, check to confirm that the ingredients in your dog’s shampoo are not dangerous if consumed by your cat.
Benefits of Using Flea Shampoo for Cats
A) Reduces Flea Infections on Skin
Shampoos are designed to prevent or kill fleas, while some sooth your cat’s skin after infestation. Soothing shampoos are especially useful where their skin is itchy and sensitive from the fleas.
B) Prevents the Infestation of Your House
By preventing or treating any fleas your cat may have, you ensure that these insects don’t get into your home. Fleas in a home may cause irritation and infections and also extra costs and inconveniences when getting rid of them.
C) Prevents Flea Diseases
Flea infection may cause diseases to your cat, depending on various factors. By killing or repelling them, your cat gets to stay disease-free.
What Differentiates a Cat Flea Shampoo From Other Shampoos?
So, what exactly sets apart cat flea shampoos from other shampoos out there on the market, be that dog shampoo or human shampoo?
The main ingredient in cat shampoos is pyrethrin, a non-toxic chemical.
On the other hand, the principal component in a dog shampoo is permethrin, a toxic substance.
You are, therefore, advised to check the ingredients list carefully to ensure that the shampoo you purchase for your cat is made of safe ingredients only.
The directions on a shampoo, one used by humans for instance, may require that you use a certain amount for optimum results.
On a cat, you might be unable to correctly estimate how much of that is exactly needed.
A cat flea shampoo will (and should) clearly explain the amount needed for treatment.
The shampoo you purchase should take your physical location into account.
Some areas may be prone to fleas and other insects like ticks and mosquitoes, so it would be recommended that you buy a shampoo that repels these other pests from your cat’s fur as well.
How To Use The Shampoo on Your Cat
Most shampoos require that you bathe your cat, even though some may be water-less, so always check the instructions that are clearly laid out on your cat flea shampoo bottle before you begin the course of treatment.
After you do that, take the following bathing tips into consideration when applying this shampoo on your cat.
– You will require a non-slip mat, warm water, a pitcher, towels, the flea shampoo, and a few treats to entice your cat.
– The non-slip mat is for your cat to step on while in the tub.
– Fill the tub partially with warm water then place your cat in there.
– Using the pitcher, pour some water over their coat to make it wet.
– Pour some shampoo on your hand and then use it to lather your cat’s coat. Gently massage it in.
– Using the pitcher, rinse off the shampoo. Ensure that you don’t pour a lot of water on your cat.
– While washing, ensure that you do not pour water over their head as it might get into their ears. To be as safe as possible in your approach, cover their ears with a cotton ball.
– Lastly, thoroughly dry your cat.
Cat flea shampoos are recommended for use on almost any cat out there, unless certain conditions are present that may cause problems.
For example, if your cat has a skin problem or has been extensively affected by fleas, it is best to first consult a vet on what shampoo would be best.
For all you know, a specific type of cat flea shampoo can very well lead to severe skin irritations if they have sensitive skin, and they may even be past the stage at which they can be treated with a cat flea shampoo if they’re at an advanced stage of flea infection.