Service dogs are more than just pet; they are trained to carry out a wide range of tasks to make the lives of their owners easier. If you own a service dog, you know that selecting the right service dog vest is an essential part of your dog’s working routine.
If your little helper isn’t wearing a vest to distinguish him, people will try to pet him or offer him treats, which can distract him from doing his job properly. On the other hand, a service vest will send a clear message that your pooch is on duty and keep him focused on the task at hand.
But getting just any dog vest won’t cut it. You want to get the best service dog vest for your pooch that will be comfortable, visible, and easy to put on. Luckily, I found and reviewed four options worthy of your helper.
Overview Of The Best Service Dog Vests
|Dogline Unimax Multi-Purpose Service Dog Harness|
|OneTigris Tactical Service Vest Dog Harness|
|Doggie Stylz Service Dog Harness|
|Chai’s Choice Service Dog Vest Harness|
Reviews Of The Best Service Dog Vests
The following four service dog uniforms are some of the best ones available on the market for you and your dog. Any of them will help your dog feel comfortable while he is on the job.
Dogline Unimax Multi-Purpose Service Dog Harness – Versatile
The Dogline Unimax Multi-Purpose Service Dog Harness features a removable chest plate that distributes your dog’s pulling force evenly. It is made with water-resistant and breathable material, which makes it great for everyday use.
For better control, the vest comes equipped with a built-in grab handle and a heavy-duty leash attachment. The removable patches and reflective trim will make your dog clearly visible even in low-light conditions.
To make your dog feel comfortable on the job, this vest comes with adjustable straps for a perfect fit. Thanks to quick release buckles, you can get your dog into this vest and ready to work within minutes.
OneTigris Tactical Service Vest Dog Harness – Practical
If you are looking for a large service dog vest, the OneTigris Tactical Service Vest Dog Harness is an excellent choice. It features a Molle system, which allows you to attach several pouches to the vest to have your dog carry your personal items.
This large service dog vest has a water-resistant nylon shell and a padded interior to keep your dog comfortable while he is working. It is also lightweight and breathable, so it won’t restrict your dog’s movements and will keep him cool during hot summer days.
The neck and chest straps are fully adjustable and provide a snug and secure fit. This vest also features two easy-to-grip handles and a V-ring leash attachment on the back for better control.
Doggie Stylz Service Dog Harness – Safe And Comfortable
When it comes to service dog uniforms, the Doggie Stylz Service Dog Harness fits most dog breeds. It is made with lightweight and breathable materials that will keep your pooch cool and comfortable while he works.
Thanks to a quick release buckle, your dog will be in or out of his vest in a matter of seconds. The two removable reflective patches and reflective strips will keep him visible and increase safety every time you are out and about.
This vest is equipped with a nylon handle and a welded D-ring for better control. The variety of sizes and adjustable straps will ensure that this vest fits your pooch perfectly.
Chai’s Choice Service Dog Vest Harness – Durable
Made with heavy-duty scratch-resistant material, the Chai’s Choice Service Dog Vest Harness is a great choice for very active service dogs. It also features cushioned straps and a padded interior for your dog’s ultimate comfort.
The 3M reflective piping and two removable reflective patches will increase your dog’s visibility and clearly identify him as a service animal. A top-mounted handle and a sturdy D-ring allow you to control your pooch at all times.
This harness is easy to put on or take off, thanks to a clip buckle. You will find the perfect fit for your dog easily since both neck and chest straps are adjustable. This vest comes in all sizes and is suitable for all dog breeds.
What To Look For In The Best Service Dog Vest
As soon as you start looking for a service dog vest for your pooch, you will realize that not all are created equally. Sometimes a great looking vest fails to tick all the boxes, and some of the cheaper looking models prove to be more functional.
So, to find the best service dog vest for your sidekick, look for the following:
- Reflective Trim: Ensures that your dog stays visible to passing vehicles. Even if you stay away from busy roads, reflective trim will prevent people from bumping or tripping over your dog.
- Handles: Will help you keep better control over your dog and are a necessity if you are relying on your pup for support or direction.
- Removable Patches: Most service dog vests have removable patches instead of permanent ones. This is a great option to have when your dog is off duty and is just playing in the park.
- Easy To Put On: Depending on your needs, having a vest that is easy to put on and take off can make all the difference in the world.
- Pockets: A great feature to have but not a necessity. If you need to store personal items in your dog’s vest, then definitely look for one that has pockets.
How To Put On A Service Dog Vest
At first, all those straps and buckles might make a service dog vest look confusing and impossible to put on. However, it is a lot easier than it looks!
Here are a few tips on how to put on a service dog vest depending on the type:
Securing A Step-In Dog Vest
- Command your dog to “sit” or “stay”, since it is a lot easier to put the vest on if your dog is in one place.
- Find the smallest hole on the vest (neck hole) and slide it over your dog’s head.
- Next, you want to place your dog’s legs into the leg loop. Lift one paw and slide it into the loop and when you are done place the paw back on the floor. At this point, you will notice that there isn’t a second loop and that you only have a strap with a clip in your hand.
- Loop the remaining strap under your dog’s leg and up towards its back. This will turn the strap into a leg loop.
- Clip the strap that you looped behind your dog’s leg to a buckle on his back.
- Check if the buckle is secure and use the plastic adjusters to tighten or loosen the straps to fit the vest perfectly.
Securing An Overhead Dog Vest
- Command your dog to “sit” or “stay” in order to put the vest on.
- Find the neck hole on the vest and slide it over your dog’s head. If you did this properly, the vest should be on your dog’s back, over his shoulder blades.
- Loop the strap under your dog’s chest towards his back and attach the clip to the buckle.
- Check if the buckle is secure and then tighten or loosen the straps if necessary.
A service dog vest is a must-have piece of doggy equipment if you own a service dog. Having your dog wear a uniform will help you get into public places and business without needing to explain your dog’s presence.
They will also give your dog a chance to be better at his job and let other people know he is more than a pet. These service vests are also made in a way to keep your dog comfortable and visible while he is performing tasks for you.
Although your dog isn’t legally required to wear a service vest, it is an indispensable accessory. Just make sure you pick the right size vest to keep your dog comfortable and focused on the task at hand.