You probably already know what Greenies are, but in case not, I’ll explain.
Put simply, Greenies are oddly-shaped dental treats that pet owners give their furry friends to help make their teeth clean and free from oral issues such as tartar, plaque, and bad breath.
Some years ago, pet owners who exposed their pups to Greenies had really bad things to say about them. According to some Greenies reviews, some pups would simply ignore the chewing intention and swallow these treats whole instead of chewing them.
Because the chew wouldn’t dissolve, it would get stuck in a dog’s digestive tract and owners would be forced to book a surgical operation to remove it.
Well, the uproar got to Greenies and they responded accordingly. Now we have new formulas that are bendier and dissolvable when swallowed yet still as good as their predecessors in cleaning dog’s teeth and solving a variety of oral issues.
I was able to round up a few Greenies dental products, which I believe you will be interested to know more about. But before I get to that, let’s see what’s to gain from these treats.
Are Greenies Good For Dogs?
Greenies are in fact great for dogs. A study published in Wiley Online Library found out that all kinds of dogs have inherent dental issues that need to be taken care of well or else the dog will be exposed to serious health issues as they grow up.
Now, the earlier you do get that chew for your dog, the better, and luckily for you, Greenies dental care products are made to help you avoid those problems.
You can learn more about their dental chews and treats by watching the video below:
Meanwhile, here’s a summary of why Greenies are good for your pet:
- Easy to digest – As mentioned earlier, all the included ingredients are completely soluble.
- Fully natural ingredients – Greenies are made of 100% natural ingredients and come enriched with other nutrients.
- Great at dealing with plaque and tartar – Greenies are engineered to prevent plaque and tartar, which as you probably know, are conditions that could ruin your pup’s teeth and cost you a fortune at a vet.
- Ideal for preventing bad breath – Letting your canine pal chew this treat is a sure way to give her better breath.
However, no product is ever fully perfect. For Greenies, it would be great to take note of the fact some of their products are not gluten-free, a fact that makes them unsuitable for allergy-prone dogs.
Also, you can’t feed them to your pup if he/she weighs less than 5 pounds or is under 6 months old.
Greenies For Dogs Reviews
As I promised earlier, here are five Greenies dental care products I found to be the most appropriate for your pet.
- Greenies Regular Dental Dog Treats
- Greenies Grain-Free Teenie Dental Dog Treats
- Greenies Weight Management Teenie Dental Dog Treats
- Greenies Breath Buster Bites Crisp Apple Flavor Grain Free Dental Dog Treats
- Greenies Pill Pockets Canine Chicken Flavor Dog Treats
1. Greenies Regular Dental Dog Treats – 4.6/5.0
Greenies Regular Dental Treats are safe to give to your dog and have been made from natural ingredients such as veggies and fiber. Even though they are tasty for a dog to chew on, a common question asked by most pet owners is, “How come this product is so hard?”
Although made primarily from veggies, it also contains wheat gluten and fiber, which are then molded to form a hard but flexible and digestible greenie. So, apart from tasty, this chew is also hard and chewy just the way most dogs love it.
If you are on the lookout for a dental cleaning solution that cleans your doggie’s teeth and prevents periodontal issues, you might want to consider giving this treat a try.
It’s available on all major online stores for pets such as Chewy.com.
Let’s briefly look at the pros and cons:
- Bendable and at the same time cleans plaque and tartar from your dog’s teeth
- Serves as a nice snack and can be fed to your dog every day. A point of note is to make sure you get the right size for your dog.
- No calories. Therefore, it will not contribute to your dog gaining excess weight.
- Some pet parents still report that their pets suffered intestinal blockage after consuming this product. However, such reports are getting less common month after month.
2. Greenies Grain-Free Teenie Dental Dog Treats – 4.5/5.0
Just like most doggie parents, I’m more often concerned with where dog treats are manufactured. While getting to know more about this particular treat, I found out that all the company’s products are made in Kansas City and not China as some Greenies dog treats reviews seem to suggest.
What’s even better about this treat is that it’s grain free and crafted to suit smaller pooches that weigh between five and fifteen pounds.
Knowing that some dogs tend to have allergies that are triggered by certain food ingredients, Greenies designed this treat to work with such pups, particularly those allergic to grains. In their place, the product features potatoes and veggies, which are not only tasty but highly digestible.
Well, you no longer have a reason to avoid those smothering kisses and affection from your pooch. Get on Chewy.com or any other major online store for pet products and place your order today.
Here’s a quick look at the pros and cons.
- Unique design, enabling it to efficiently clean and scrape off plaque and tartar
- Can clean the teeth up to the gum line of your dog
- It is highly digestible, reducing the risk of complications if swallowed
- It’s fat-free so your dog can enjoy them as frequently as every day
- The smell of this grain-free Greenie doesn’t seem to sit well with some parents.
3. Greenies Weight Management Teenie Dental Dog Treats – 4.5/5.0
Let’s face it, weight management in dogs is never an easy task. Usually, it’s easier for a dog to gain weight, but quite a nightmare when it’s time to try shed off the extra pounds.
But a healthily balanced formulation combined with a proper feeding schedule plus exercise will help your dog maintain an optimal weight. What makes Greenie Weight Management Teenies special is that it’s great for both weight management and oral hygiene.
Generally, dogs lose weight quicker with less calorie intake and it becomes easier if your pooch is not feeling starved. This treat does a good job of helping your pooch shed some pounds without too much hustle, thanks to additional ingredients such as wheat gluten, which are low in calories.
On top of that, the chew contains metabolism-boosting L-carnitine, which is great for dogs that are being mindful of their weight.
Visit Chewy.com or any major online store and place your orders now while the stocks last.
Meanwhile here’s what makes this treat special.
- The tasty flavor of veggies makes it attractive to most dogs
- Has a great design that makes it chewy
- Can clean plaque and tartar from her teeth all the way up to the gum
- Extremely low in calories, making it great for weight management
- It’s relatively soft and therefore doesn’t last as long
- Some users report a loss of appetite. However, this seems to vary from dog to dog.
4. Greenies Breath Buster Bites Crisp Apple Flavor Grain-Free Dental Dog Treats – 4.3/5.0
If you feel that the breath of your mutt is atrocious to the point you don’t want her near you, this apple flavored Greenie can come to your rescue as it’s designed to freshen your hound’s dentals in no time.
Since your pooch will likely take to this snack, the breath problem gets taken care of by the crisp apple flavor. Although this Greenie contains a mixture of other ingredients such as veggies and fiber, you can rest assured that it is low-calorie.
In fact, what makes it work so well is that it contains an ingredients system that is flavorful, low-calorie, flexible, and chewy. Any dog is likely to love such a combination.
With this treat, you don’t have to be on your guard all the time when your dog is close to you in case she tries to sneak in an affectionate kiss. Want to place an order?
If yes, head over to any of the major online pet stores to place your order, such as Chewy.com.
- Grain free, making it ideal for allergy-prone dogs
- You can let your dog enjoy this breath buster as often as you see fit
- Almost every dog is covered except those below 5 pounds
5. Greenies Pill Pockets Canine Chicken Flavor Dog Treats – 4.5/5.0
If you have ever had to give your dog medicine in the form of tablets, capsules, or syrup, you know how messy it can get. Your pooch is smart, but I don’t have to tell you that–any sign or smell of meds and he will start to play hard to get.
The trick is to outsmart him so that he has no clue that he is taking meds. But how?
Greenies pill pockets are the ultimate solution. Simply take your capsule or tablet and place it in the pill pocket.
Pinch either side of the pill pocket so the meds are lost inside and feed it to your pooch. Your canine pal will have no idea as he swallows it down and looks up to you for more. Ingenious!
What’s more, they taste wonderful as they are made from either chicken, peanut butter, duck and pea, or hickory smoke flavors.
Please note that pocket pills for tablets are much smaller while pocket pills for capsules are slightly large.
Here are a couple of things that make these pill pockets special:
- Great flavors make the pills irresistible
- Made with 100% natural ingredients
- Great for helping your dog take medication
- Low in calories, making them suitable for weight management
- Can be expensive if used several times a day
Clearly, Greenies products have indeed evolved for the better in terms of being more digestible and healthier. An extensive range of Greenie products now allows even pooches that are sensitive to grain and those that need to control their weight the luxury of using the product.
Whereas, at one point, cleaning your dog’s teeth meant a potential visit to the vet and anesthesia, today all it takes is a better Greenie snack, and recent Greenies reviews by pet owners prove it.
Not only does a Greenie help clean your doggie’s dentals and reduce plaque and tartar, but it also provides enjoyment for your canine pal as he/she munches and chews the snack away because it is flavorful.
However, as a pet parent, you need to choose the right Greenies size for your pooch based on the dog’s weight in order to maximize their potential.