Not everyone has heard of this particular brand of pet food and you might have a few questions about it. Like where is Zignature dog food made? Is it any good? Have there been any Zignature dog food recalls?
Made by Pets Global Inc. and based in North America, Zignature is a limited ingredient dog food with no meat by-products, no chicken, chicken fat, or chicken eggs. There is also no corn, soy, wheat or other grains and it’s gluten- and potato-free. The primary and secondary ingredients of this premium dog food are meat or fish and fish or meat meal respectively, such as turkey and turkey meal, lamb and lamb meal, whitefish and whitefish meal, kangaroo and kangaroo meal, and trout and salmon meal.
At a Glance: Our Choices for the Zignature Dog Food
- Zignature Grain-Free Trout and Salmon Dry Dog Food
- Zignature Whitefish Limited Ingredient Dry Dog Food
- Zignature Turkey Formula Canned Dog Food
- Zignature Kangaroo Limited Ingredient Dry Dog Food
- Zignature Zssential Formula Canned Dog Food
*Note: The links in the table above, as well as several links in the remainder of the article below, will take you to over to Chewy.com where you can find out more information about the products, such as current prices and customer reviews.
Even though Zignature Dog Food is one of the lesser known brands, it’s a premium pet food that dog owners appreciate and their dogs love. It’s made using the best ingredients and the focus is on a well-balanced nutritional diet, which is why we give it 4.9 out of 5 stars.
Looking at different Zignature dog food reviews, the product, unlike a lot of others, is one of the very few that comes close to a natural, raw diet. Each of the formulas is made with limited ingredients and a high-quality protein is always the first ingredient. There are no additives, preservatives or fillers and there is no gluten or potato. Chickpeas, sunflower oil, pea protein, and pea flour are used as protein sources in addition to an animal protein.
Fresh fruits like blueberries and cranberries are used for additional vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
- The use of animal protein gives Zignature a delicious taste and makes it a well-balanced food with all the essential nutrients
- It’s free from soy, corn, and wheat which have little to no nutritional value for dogs
- As far as commercial dog foods go, this is the closest to a ‘raw’ diet
- Chelated minerals are used to make the food easier to absorb
- There have been no recalls
- Zignature’s range of dog foods is suitable for dogs of all ages
- It’s one of the few dog food brands that use meat like kangaroo, which is very good for dogs that are allergic to chicken, for example
- The high-quality proteins are excellent for dogs with sensitive stomachs and all the products can be traced to the original source
- It’s definitely one of the more expensive dog food brands on the market. However, if budget isn’t an issue, then this is the best dog food your money can buy
- There are no probiotics which help with digestion
- There has been feedback that some of the foods, like the kangaroo recipe, isn’t absorbed properly, resulting in gassy pooches that need to poop a lot more
Zignature’s Top Products
There are more than 14 products available and while this gives a wide range to choose from, it also makes it difficult deciding on the best one for your dog. For the purpose of this review, we’ve selected the most popular ones.
However, watching this taste test by a discerning customer proves all the flavors are equally delicious:
ZignatureGrain-Free Trout dry dog food is made with trout, salmon meal, pea flour, pea protein and peas as well as chickpeas and flaxseed. The primary ingredient trout provides your dog with a high-quality source of omega-3 fatty acids. It’s also packed with vitamin B12 and provides B6, Niacin, Selenium, and Phosphorus.
Made with whitefish from Alaska, Oregon, and Washington, this particular recipe is one of the best sources of complete protein and packed with vitamins B6 and 12, omega-3 fatty acids, Niacin, Phosphorus and Selenium. It’s grain-free and suitable for dogs with allergies.
One of Zignature’s most popular formulas, it’s made with farm-raised turkeys from the Midwest. Turkey is a natural source of food in the wild and is high in protein but low in saturated fat. It’s also a good source of Riboflavin. The delicious recipe is made using turkey broth, livers, meal, and peas.
Not too many brands of dog food use kangaroo as a protein source. It has twice as much Vitamin B12 as any other meat, and it’s rich in CLA, various B vitamins, and omega-3 fatty acids.
Zssential is Zignature’s multi-source protein formula made with salmon from the Northwest, lamb meal from New Zealand, duck meal from France, and turkey and turkey meal from the Midwest.
It’s very high in protein, low in saturated fat and is an excellent source of Thiamin, Niacin, Phosphorus, and Riboflavin.This recipe is especially good for larger dogs needing the correct balance of protein and other essential nutrients and minerals.
Looking at Zignature’s list of ingredients, it’s clear that the formulas all have animal protein as the first ingredient with meal ingredients from the same product for higher protein levels as the second.
Their products do not contain chicken, an ingredient that’s a common allergen to dogs and most notably, they’re one of the very few dog brands that use kangaroo. While the ingredients are sourced from various parts of the world, depending on seasonal availability, all the products are manufactured in the States, in Perham, Minnesota and Mitchell, South Dakota.
Zignature’s FAQs on their website addresses any concerns or queries you might have.
It should come as no surprise that Zignature has had no recalls on their products. Should this change, we’ll update our information immediately.
Zignature is an excellent product and while it costs more than most other dog foods, you know you’re getting the very best for your pet. Their high-quality single source protein sets them apart from other brands and you can feed your dog these products with absolute confidence.